Laser Hair Removal
How Laser Hair Removal Works
The Palomar Icon™ Aesthetic System is the next generation of platform technology, with high peak powers, state of the art cooling, built in calibration, and the Skintel™ reader - the only FDA-cleared melanin reader. The Palomar Icon system provides fast treatments with excellent outcomes and user experience. Building on two decades of unparalleled investments in developing light-based systems for aesthetic providers, the Palomar Icon system redefines the standard of light-based cosmetic and dermatologic care by introducing several new enhancements designed to help improve clinical outcomes and treatment satisfaction.
Laser Treatment for Unwanted Hair
Laser Hair Removal Pre-Treatment Instructions:
- Avoid waxing, tweezing, depilatory creams, or electrolysis for 2-4 weeks prior to treatment, and at all times between treatments.
- Avoid the use of exfoliant creams i.e.: Retin-A, Alpha-hydroxy, glycolic acid, etc. 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Full hair growth and stubble is required for the initial visit for proper assessment and documentation. After this visit you may shave between your laser treatment appointments.
- Avoid tanning, including self-tanning creams, for 2 weeks prior to each treatment. A sunscreen with SPF 30 or greater should be used on any area of sun exposed skin which you plan to treat.
- Shave the area to be treated within 24 hours prior to your appointment.
Laser Hair Removal Post-Treatment Instructions:
- The response, results, and healing to laser treatments vary with each individual. Varying factors include, but are not limited to, skin colour, density of hair, treatment location, and post-treatment care.
- Gently apply pure Aloe Vera Gel, Polysporin Antibiotic Ointment, or a product suggested by your hair removal technician to the treated area twice daily until healed. If necessary cover the area to protect against sun exposure.
- When showering and washing, pat dry, do not rub excessively.
- A cold pack may be placed over the treated area to reduce redness and swelling which can last 1-3 days. The area will usually heal within 5-7 days.
- Avoid using any harsh topical creams until the area is healed i.e.: exfoliants, Retin-A, Alpha-hydroxy, glycolic acid, acne creams etc.
- Avoid sun exposure to the treated area for 24-48 hours. After this time SPF 30 or greater is recommended on the treated area during the course of laser treatment. Avoid tanning, including self-tanning creams, for 2 weeks prior to each treatment.
- Blistering after treatment is rare but does occur. Crusts and scabs may develop as a result and will fall off in 2-3 weeks. Avoid rubbing, scratching or picking.
Unwanted Hair Reminders
Stubble or what appears to be re-growth may appear. This is not new hair, but is the remaining hair being expelled from the hair follicle. This hair may take 1 to 3 weeks to fall out; shaving is permitted between treatments. Your next treatment should be booked when new re-growth appears - in approximately 4-6 weeks. Consistent treatments will allow for the most effective results.